Sunday, March 15, 2015

Aaaand I'M OUT!

Only this time, there is no badass mic drop, à la Kanye West.


Nope. Not this time.

Just as the weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer and I was getting back into my running routine, disaster struck: I had a pretty gnarly knee injury.

The injury itself was pretty badass, if I do say so myself.  I was injured during a roller derby match. Yes, that's right: roller derby. This is kinda how I remember it happening:


But in reality, I'm pretty sure it was more like this:


In either case, the bottom half of my leg went one way, while the top half of my leg went the other, causing my right knee to pop in all kinds of places. After x-rays, MRIs and a slew of other tests, the diagnosis is in: torn ACL.

Luckily, due to my superhuman-strong legs, it's been determined that I don't need surgery. Instead, I need to work on the other muscles on my knee to live a "normal" (I use that term loosely) life, sans ACL. In total the physical therapy should take around four months.

So I've been couch-bound for about a week and, according to my physio, I should be able to start riding a bike in another 3 weeks or so. And running can resume probably in another 5 weeks. Super.

This is just typical, though, isn't it? I've been putting off running (and exercise in general) all winter long, and now I have finally got my motivation back to hit the trails once again with running at lunch, in the evenings and weekends. And then THIS has to happen! ARG. Frustration doesn't even begin to cover it.

It's like the universe wants me to be fat and lazy.


As previously mentioned, I'm the world's worst patient. So naturally I am hating every minute of this. And I am totally jealous of anyone who can actually walk.

Will I make it through this? Of course.
Will I be entirely unbearable during the process? Definitely.

Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment